It is a fun experiment to try. Fun enough that it is worth writing software to make it easier to do.
On an unrelated note
This evening I fixed this website along with shadowwall.org which is hosted on the same server. I had three problems:
- Hyperlinks on shadowwall.org were directing to this domain.
- I was running a Postgres 9.3 and didn't upgrade or backup my cluster before upgrading my binaries. (So this website went down.)
- This domain was not exposed in any way.
How to fix?
Firstly, the database problem. It turns out I had to downgrade from 9.5 to 9.3. Luckily this was pretty easy on my Arch box because the AUR repository still has 9.3 available. Because I am super lazy and my database is tiny, I was able to just run
/opt/pgsql-9.3/bin/pg_dumpall >> old_backup.sql as my backup. After re-installing the new version of postgres and setting up a fresh database
psql -f old_backup.sql postgres put me back in the swing of things.
Secondly, the hyperlink problem. It turns out this is a configuration option in wordpress, so this was trivial to fix us using this guide here.
Finally, because I had to use wordpress and the backend of this site is in clojure, I needed to proxy through requests to danielkeogh.com to a service on a different port. This was again, another incantation. It was tricky to find. Documentation on Apache is good so long as you know how to correctly word your questions. I found the solution to my problem here.